Mold in the winter garden is a harmful, actively multiplying fungus. A favorable environment for its development is an atmosphere oversaturated with moisture. It appears where the air masses are not updated, and where there is no drainage. That is, the root of the development and spread of mold is ventilation, which does not work well.
Mold in the winter garden: what will happen if the problem is not solved?
We list the negative points that cause the fungus that appeared in the room:
- The microclimate is deteriorating – an unpleasant smell of mustiness, decay appears, the air is oversaturated with fungal spores that penetrate the human respiratory tract, plant tissues, soil, furniture, ceilings;
- The health of the person inside is deteriorating: dizziness, nausea, headaches occur, allergies and asthma develop – all these are the consequences of mold reproduction, active release of spores;
- Plants get sick and die;
- Structures of the room (ceilings, partitions, shelves) are destroyed.
How to rid the winter garden of mold
If the room is already attacked by a fungus, you must:
- soak the affected areas of the room with water;
- neutralize the fungus with drugs;
- remove the fungus with a metal tool;
- apply a protective coating to the disinfected area.
Remember that there is white and black mold. If the first is a phenomenon that can be eliminated with minimal consequences (expenses for the purchase of drugs, the loss of part of the plants), then the second is much more dangerous and the losses will increase.
To save yourself from risks, take care of the prevention of the appearance of mold in advance.
How to protect the winter garden from mold?
The only way to prevent mold in any room, including the winter garden, is ventilation. The method of organizing ventilation is limited by the purpose of the room: a certain temperature and humidity must be maintained in the winter garden (their readings depend on the types of plants), drafts and sudden changes in t are excluded. Therefore, natural ventilation is not suitable for such greenhouses.
Forced ventilation is installed in the winter garden. According to the type of power source, they are divided into:
- electric fans;
- autonomous devices on solar energy.
To get rid of mold in the winter garden and prevent its reappearance, both methods are suitable. But which one is more economical?
In the US, Europe and Japan, solar-powered dehumidification and ventilation devices are preferred. Why?
- versatility– solar collectors are equipped with thermostats and humidity sensors, so the use is possible in the winter garden, regardless of the types of plants;
- availability– the device is not tied to power sources, it works autonomously where the sun shines, and not where there is an outlet;
- cost savings– you need to pay for the purchase, but not for use, unlike fans that consume electricity, solar collectors work for free;
- additional air filtration– relevant where the dustiness of the atmosphere is high, where mold colonies have recently grown. Disputes from the room will disappear twice as fast;
- security— does not cause short circuits, does not emit harmful substances.
Mold in the winter garden occurs only where there is no proper ventilation. A solar collector is a proper ventilation system. See for yourself!